Monday, August 2, 2010

An Appreciator

I've been gone for awhile. I'm sorry. Really the only excuse is the increasingly "adult" life I am living. However, writing is a part of my adult life and therefore, I am being a bad, neglectful adult. (I worry for my future children)

Though it's been two weeks since the great "Con" of San Diego, it still must have a moment of time in my blog because half the reason I went was to write about it. I don't say no to a lot of things anymore for one sole reason/question: why-not?

As a writer, I take this approach: live. And live like you mean it.

Living for me entails a lot of yes's and only a no when it involves strippers or illegal activities. My logic is even though I might be a bit weary of whatever I signed myself up for, if anything, there's a story waiting for me.

Comic Con had more than one story. Naturally. I'm sure you've heard of it. And if you've haven't you're probably so cool no one likes you.

Held every year on the third weekend of July, San Diego Convention Center and the adjacent Gaslamp District are taken over. I mean-TOTAL DOMINATION. I ran to a number of zombies just trying to get back onto the trolley-hello Comic Con.

I went with three fellows: Evan (longtime friend), Alex (longtime boyfriend), and Orion (short-time friend). Orion, unaware that I voluntarily chose to come along, asked " Sooo are you like into this?"

I laughed. And said "yes, I came on my own equally-excited accord."

Orion smiled and didn't question my intentions for the rest of the day.

Again, I honestly wanted to go. I loved movies before I met Alex, and after being with Alex for 2 years, I love movies and its industry. I am appreciator for the arts and, as Alex told me once, so I am for the nerdy.

Therefore, as an appreciator for all that is epic and nerdy, I went to Comic Con.

I had a ball.

As soon as we hit the exhibit hall and I saw the banner for Harry Potter at the Warner Bros. station, I bee-lined it. I had gone faster than Alex could say my name. Faster than Evan could even realize I wasn't there in front of him two seconds before.

If someday Harry Potter had a convention, I would lose it. Lose the very few
"cool" strands I possess on my head. The day I finally visit the Wizarding World at Universal Studios, Orlando, it will be similar.

I saw all the Horcuxes, which in the Harry Potter universe, is pretty damn cool. I wanted to oogle longer but the pushy line behind me was not going to let me.

Which leads me to my only compliant about Comic Con: the extreme tight spaces that everyone is trying to get through and I mean EVERYone and the sprinkle of the smelly Coners. Smelly really doesn't cover exactly what I smelled. No deodorant-that much was clear-no shower-I know for sure-and no basic idea of personal hygiene was my problem with these few Coners. Also, I felt bad, because I knew I was witnessing a Comic Con cliche.

In its lifetime, San Diego's Comic Con International has quickly evolved to more than just the comic book nerd paradise. Movie studios took notice of its potential and ran with it. Nowadays, Comic Con is the haven for all that is awesome in comic books, movies, AND television.

I got the lucky chance to attend the Adult Swim Panel by Cartnoon Network. In attendance was Robot Chicken, Venture Bros., and Metalocalypse creators. To condense the discussion for the sake of the novel-blog I'm writing you: Seth Green was hilarious, Doc Hammer (Venture Bros.) was hilarious, and the future of Venture Bros. is bright and ridiculous.

My single purchase that day was a zombie oral history: "World War Z." I've been wanting to read the book for some time, always hearing great things about it, and as I told Evan such, a woman next time to me informed me that the author, Max Brooks, was sitting right in front of me.

Why wouldn't he be? It's Con.

Evan and I composed ourselves and began a friendly chat with Max asking what his process was for "Z." Max started out with his passion for history and basically made himself a research project and "just added zombies." So far, I'm totally into it. Its format is a collection of interviews, but the creepiness of the world slowly becoming aware of what they are exactly dealing with is the most haunting element of the book that makes it worth the read.

Side note: zombies are very in.

Overall, Friday was a good day. Alex and I made time to eat, and sit, which was absolutely vital. I spent an hour waiting to shake hands with Scooby-Douche and the gang (Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures Bros) and get an autographed picture for my new L.A. pad. Bumped shoulders with storm troopers, a very tall Darth Vader, fell in love with a Dean and Hank (Venture Bros.) look-alikes, freaked out when I snagged a Fringe XL Comic Con bag, and passed out three times on the trolley ride back.

My name is Andrea Galvez, and I go to Con.

0 comments:

Post a Comment