Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Real Magic

It's time to talk Harry.

I remember the moment I picked up Harry Potter. The cool blue book with the wispy-sort-of drawing across the front. It was the third installment: "Prisoner of Azkaban."

Yes I did start in the middle. And I know that's horrible, but I went back and read the first two shortly after. Don't get crazy.

But I remember the moment so well. I could walk back into Charter Oak High's library and I could point to you where the spot was, where with my head tilted to the side reading the title and saying,

"Ok, let's see what all the fuss is about..."

I would never be the same Andrea.

At that very instance, I evolved into different reader, a reader who was now hopelessly devoted to one universe. I was completely, totally, undoubtedly in love with...

J.K Rowling.

My fascination always lied in the author. Other girls were busy getting all hot and bothered about Harry, the weird girls got flustered with Ron, and all men around the world both old and young drooled over Hermione (don't let them tell you any different). But I, I was fascinated and in awe of the words I read. And the tremendously amount of talent I found in each chapter. Each new novel.

As a reader, I knew she was amazing. And as a writer, I cried.

I cried because it was something truly special to see what Rowling made: more readers.

I loved going to the midnight screenings of the movies: the air buzzing with Potter. Yet, nothing was special like the book parties. Going to Barnes & Noble at midnight and seeing people of all ages buzz around a bookstore. That was magic to me.

My life plan is quite simple: healthy, happy, family, good work, and rule the world and proclaim total literacy across the globe.

Simple.

Rowling has kinda beat me to the punch but I forgive her. In the end, I won't be selfish about how literacy becomes the next world power, but simply that it does.

This explains my large collection of literacy t-shirts I keep expanding and why going to the Festival of Books is my mecca.

Reading the seventh, and the last, Harry Potter was incredible journey and one of the most rewarding experiences as a reader. The real kick about J.K. is what she gives. She's quite the selfless writer and that's what captivates.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, and all the rest of the heros in her novels are selfless in their united pursuit to save what they love: each other.

Compassion AND Literacy?

J.K. Rowling is my queen.



*******


P.S. Part 1 of the Deathly Hollows film was magnificent. Part 2 will leave me as a big, fat, blobbering mess. I'll write my review of the entire cinematic journey then (July).

I know: the anticipation will be unbearable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment